On 28-03-15 20:36, Steve Dougherty wrote:
> On 03/28/2015 12:07 PM, Eric Chadbourne wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Is it possible to use more than a 500GB data store?
>>
>> On a fresh installation the largest selectable value for the
>> datastore is 500GB.  I would like to use 3TB if possible.  When I
>> attempt to change the value via the web page I get an out of memory
>> error.  If I change the value in freenet.ini the application won’t
>> start.  I may not be setting the value correctly.
>>
>> Internal error: please report

> What is "Maximum memory usage" under "Wrapper" on the Configuration >
> Core settings page set to? For a store that big it seems like it'll have
> to be higher.

I think this correctly identifies the problem at hand: IIRC, bloom
filters contribute to a memory usage of 1/3000th of the data store size,
which would be around 1 GB of RAM for a 3TB data store — not counting
memory consumption of other parts of Freenet, Java memory management
overhead, etc.

Your problem can probably be solved by raising the memory limit.* Apart
from the limits imposed by your storage and RAM capacities, there is no
limit to datastore size (apart from some 2^63 bytes limits imposed by
internal representation, but that should never be an issue in the
foreseeable future).

Keep in mind that other settings may need additional tweaking for
optimal performance when such a large datastore is used.

Thank you for running Freenet!

-- Bert

* You can change the memory limit through the web interface as Steve
pointed out, or change the `wrapper.java.maxmemory' option in
wrapper.conf (after stopping Freenet): the value is the memory limit in
megabytes.