On Sunday, May 15, 2016 09:35:41 AM jelbert nl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If I want to invite friends to freenet would it be safe to exhange the
> noderef bij email or exhange them on a forum? Or is the only secure way to
> exhange them by a physical meeting and excange usb sticks?

(Sorry for the long delay in answering this, we've been a volunteer-only
project for the past >6 months. No employees to be forced to reply to
mails...)

What is "safe" depends on who you think might be attacking you.

In theory, people who are capable of intercepting your mails could replace
your noderef with their own and thus intercept your Freenet traffic.
This is called man-in-the-middle attack:
   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man-in-the-middle_attack

Of course this is a bit complex to do and thus will probably only happen if
someone is actively trying to hack you, such as a government.

So if you don't feel like the government is interested in you personally, use
mail. Otherwise use an USB stick.