On 22/01/17 19:01, Steve Dougherty wrote:
> On 01/22/2017 12:27 PM, Amuza wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> I have never tried Freenet but I already have some questions:
>>
>> How do nodes discover each other?
> In opennet mode ("normal" or "low" network security) they connect to
> seed nodes (a list of which is included with the software) run by
> volunteers which provide them with an initial set of possible
> connections, and during normal operation performs path folding to
> maintain and improve its connections. [0]
>
> When not in opennet mode (and therefore in "darknet mode;" if both modes
> are in use it's "hybrid") connections must be manually and mutually added.
>
>> Can nodes within a LAN connect to each other without any special
>> configuration?
> It depends on what you mean by special configuration. It does require
> that the nodes' operators add one another as "friends" by trading node
> references, but this is intended as routine configuration.
>
>> Do they need Internet access?
> No, but note that a completely isolated darknet would have no way to
> access the content available through the public opennet network. This
> includes updates to the software. As long as one member of the darknet
> is also connected to opennet this will not be the case. (Though
> performance will be slow.)
>
>> Would nodes keep automatically connecting when they are in a LAN where
>> some days there is no Internet access?
> Yes.
>
>> Does Freenet have any kind of real asynchronous messaging?
> Yes, and it depends what you mean.

I mean, something like this:
Alice is online and sends a message which has Caroline (her Freenet
friend) as the recipient, but Caroline is offline. Fortunately Barbara
(who is a common Freenet friend of both Alice and Caroline) is online.
Then Alice goes offline. Then Caroline goes online and receives Alice's
message. Barbara (or other common online Freenet friend) automatically
forwarded the message without being able to read it.

>> If so, how does it work?
> Darknet peers can send direct messages by clicking on the peer's name on
> the friends page. If the peers are not both online and connected the
> message will be deferred until they are. The user interface for this is
> very poor but it does function.
>
> Otherwise, messaging tools like FLIP, Freemail, or Sone can do that.
> [1][2][3] They work by inserting and fetching the messages as files.

I guess some of those three messaging tools do somehow the kind of
asynchronous messaging I meant. Do they?
>> Thank you!!
> Yep. :) Hope this helps.
>
> - Steve

It does! Great explanations! As soon as I have a while I will try Freenet.

Let me ask another one, this one is more difficult:

In the case you, or anyone in this list, know a bit about other
more-or-less similar decentralized tools like Retroshare, Zeronet, Tox,
IPFS, etc, could you very briefly compare them to Freenet and easily say
some advantage or disadvantage of some of those tools over Freenet?

Thanks again.