The installer for 0.7 is way better than the (unmaintained) installer
for 0.5. And we simply don't have the resources to maintain both
branches in any meaningful way.

0.7 is an unstable alpha test, but 0.5 isn't much better. In many ways
0.7's security is better *now*, and it will improve further. Admittedly
in other ways it may be less secure, but I don't believe that 0.5 is
significantly more secure than 0.7, even with the fake-darknet topology
that we use for testing now (with a few real darknet links and lots of
fake ones from #freenet-refs). Many of the more powerful attacks against
0.7, such as correlation attacks, were also viable against 0.5. And
there is content.

As far as initial speed  goes, 0.5 takes a week to get up to something
vaguely resembling speed; 0.7 takes 10+ references to reach the same
stage. Either way there is a big barrier to entry.