On Sat, Jul 29, 2006 at 06:32:35AM -0000, Anonymous Freenet User wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Jul 2006, Matthew Toseland <toad at amphibian.dyndns.org> wrote:
> >!!! Unable to decode the following MIME section !!!
>
> personal note: I hate pgpmime, inline may be old fashioned, but it's more
> compatible

It's more standards compliant.

> >You have to connect to a **0.7** node. Actually you have to connect to
> >several. And yes, the content is different; it's an incompatible content
> >reset.
>
> This means that it's time to download all of your favorite 0.5 content and
> re-insert it in 0.7 when it becomes possible.

Yes.

> On a related note...
>
> If I set up a new 0.7 node, get a few refs and begin inserting content. am
> I as anonymous in doing so as I am in 0.5? Is there any way to trace
> content back to the node that inserted it?

0.5 has security problems. 0.7 has security problems. Either way you are
vulnerable primarily to those nodes you are directly connected to. Who
are far fewer in 0.7, and who you hopefully already know, in 0.7.
Whereas on 0.5 you may well be connected to the [insert bad guys].

Hence the darknet model is safer - at least, it's safer from a distant
adversary. It is less safe from the point of view of a personal
betrayal. And it remains an explicit goal that it be impossible to trace
the author of an insert, however if you happen to be directly connected
to them, you have a good chance of busting them with a correlation
attack or something similar, until we implement premix routing (in 0.8).

Also there are a number of important features which are not implemented
yet, and a variety of attacks are possible. One of the big ones is that
we don't have proper encryption yet; connections are encrypted, but not
authenticated yet, so they can be MITMed or spoofed. That will be fixed
in the reasonably near future.

http://wiki.freenetproject.org/FreenetZeroPointSevenSecurity
Matthew J Toseland - toad at amphibian.dyndns.org