----- Original Message -----
From: "Lars Juel Nielsen" <lars.j.niel...@gmail.com>
To: <support at freenetproject.org>
Sent: Saturday, June 24, 2006 10:45 AM
Subject: Re: [freenet-support] Some 0.7 questions

> On 6/24/06, Kevin Bennett <kb at stygia.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> > Hello.  Can I ask a question on the new Freenet?
> >
> > I understand that version 0.7 is supposed to have two parts, an open
network
> > and a "darknet" and that at the moment only the "darknet" part is
working
> > and that to connect to it I have to get somebody else's node reference
and
> > add it to my node whilst the other person does the same with my
reference.
> > OK so far.
> >
> > 1. When I do this process and connect to a few nodes, are those the only
> > nodes to which I will ever connect, or does the act of joining the
network
> > through those nodes then allow my node to learn about and connect to
other
> > nodes whose references I don't explicitly add myself?
>
> No peers will be added automatically. The general concensus is that a
> fitting amount of peers is 5 to 20 peers depending on bandwidth
> constraints and how many people you trust.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it the
node announcing and accumulation of known nodes in the the routing table
WILL be a feature of the .7 opennet when it becomes available.  Right now
only the darknet is being tested.

> > 2. If/when the open net appears, will it be completely separate from the
> > darknet or will being in the darknet automatically join my node to the
open
> > network?

Again, according to my limited understanding, the purpose of the darknet
will be to allow people who don't want to be known to be running a node to
hook up to the general Freenet.  When the opennet is available, someone who
wishes to remain hidden will start darknode net and hook up to some guys on
the opennet whom he trusts.  He will then be connected, but no one will know
he is.  His node will get the advantage of the routing tables of his opennet
buddies.

Again, correct me if I'm wrong!  I get all my info from anonymous guys on
Frost....