If these ten nodes are only interconnected with themselves they -of
course- have no access to the larger network and therefore form a small
private, albeit darknet, network.
If one of the nodes is connected to the "global" darknet, then the ten
nodes have access to the global darknet but routing might be impaired as
the other nine nodes will not connect to the darknet.

Opennet is a completely different story as nodes are seeded by seednodes
(therefore private networks are possible if the nodes don't access the
seednodes, but by default opennet nodes ask seednodes).
Also opennet nodes do swap informations about their peers, so nodes
without knowledge of other nodes might come across new noderefs and
connect to previously unknown nodes to enhance connectivity.

Hope this helped