On Wednesday 07 January 2009 17:40, Dennis Nezic wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 17:22:52 +0100, bqz69 <bqz69 at telia.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday 07 January 2009 16:56:16 Dennis Nezic wrote:
> >  Do you have the
> > > most recent freenet-ext.jar?
> > Yes
> >
> > Here is my newest wrapper log from 6. jan 2009:
> >
> > http://www.minihowto.org/6/wrapper.log
>
> Toad, this problem, of "hanging jvms" appears to be quite popular!
> Bqz69's node is also "crashing" almost every day--like my node used to
> (when I had it running in a wrapper)--and like others have also
> reported :\.
>
> Running out of a wrapper seems to make the crashes less frequent.
>
> But, Bzq69, your wrapper does seem to be restarting freenet properly.
> Are you sure you need another wrapper around that wrapper? :)

We have had similar problems reported occasionally for some time. AFAICS the
only causes we have found:
- Not having the native thread priority code. On x86 linux, or windows, this
should not be a problem. On OS/X it is a problem as priorities are very
vague, maybe the timeouts should be increased on OS/X.
- Constant garbage collection. Can we please have confirmation from
freenet.loggc (see the wrapper config I mentioned earlier in the thread) that
the node is doing constant (once a second or more) Full GC's just before it
crashes?
- The node being starved of CPU time by external processes. If this is a
problem for you, increase or disable your wrapper timeouts.
- Occasionally key threads stalling, but this would result in the node
restarting itself rather than the wrapper restarting the node.

It may be possible that the wrapper threads are starved by other threads in
Freenet, but this shouldn't happen as they should start at maximum priority,
and the FEC decode thread for example should start at near minimum.

But there may be other causes.