On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 23:52:26 +0100, bqz69 wrote:

> > > Now my freenet is running on my fit-pc - has been running properly
> > > the last week.
> > >
> > > I did following (I am using ubuntu 8.04):
> > >
> > > 1. Created a text file /etc/cron.allow containing my username.
> >
> > That might explain why your wrapper's wrapper (your crontab-run
> > script) wasn't working. Though you don't have to manually specify a
> > cron.allow file... you can just delete it, and it allows everyone
> > by default, unless they're mentioned in cron.deny.
> >
> > > 2. Inserted following line in /etc/crontab:
> > >
> > > @hourly myusername ~/Freenet/run.sh start
> > >
> > > (Probably not necessary)
> >
> > This one, the system-cron file, is necessary. The second one is
> > useless, I believe. Cron never checks ~/.crontab--only /etc/crontab,
> > and /var/spool/cron/crontabs, for individual users.
> >
> > > 3. Created a text file ~/.crontab  with the following line:
> > >
> > > @hourly myusername ~/Freenet/run.sh start
> > >
> > > The freenet system seems however to very sensitive, and stops
> > > when I do some other work, and then I have to restart freenet,
> > > but as a mini-freenet server just serving data, it seems to work
> > > well.
> >
> > Interesting. And bad! :). How sure are you that the crashes occur
> > when you're doing other work on the system?
>
> Ok, not so sure, just tried again and freenet did not stop this time.
>
> > (Is it wishful thinking? ;).
> > What is the "nice" value for freenet's java process?
>
> It is 10
>
> > (You can check
> > it via the "top" command.) I had mine at a brutal 20 (the lowest
> > priority of all my processes on my system), and toad suggested that
> > this may have been the cause of my crashes. I have raised it's
> > priority now, and will continue to test. Though I am skeptical.
> > Crashing should not happen. Ever!
> >
> > > Thanks everybody so far, for your help
> >
> > "So far". I'm sure we haven't heard the end of this one :).

Mine just "crashed" recently. Actually, it shuts itself down pretty
cleanly, after outputting the following age-old messages:

Restarting node: PacketSender froze for 3 minutes!
Exiting on deadlock.
Restarting node: MessageCore froze for 3 minutes!
(USM deadlock)
Goodbye.

In general, I do notice that freenet bogs down my 1.2GHz machine quite
a bit. Could that be the cause of these freezes/deadlocks? Can't it be
less cpu/mem intensive? If I recall correctly, it does run smoothly for
the first few hours, then slowly grinds itself (apparently) and my box
to an unbearable crawl.

Maybe we could make those messages more informative? For example,
before having the node shut itself down, have it dump it's list of
threads or queues or whatever.