I notice that upon a successful outgoing call connection, it looks like the GUI
is not receiving or maybe not checking for the call status as the dialpad is
not closing to display the call status screen.

You can close the pyphone_phone manually and open zhone again, which will
display the pyphone_call screen, but I should think the intuitive response of
it would be to call pyphone_call once an active call state is acheived.

I'm digging through this code for the first time today so I'm still trying to
familiarize myself with the flow and I can't figure out where the checking
would best be performed as yet or else I'd suggest something. Till then, I
leave that to you guys. :}

-Tom