> Which charger are you using?

USB cable connected to computer, not the charger.

> Is the phone on and unsuspended the whole time you're charging?

yes, using 2007.2's "dim only, don't lock" option, so most of the time
the screen is turned off, but the phone is not suspended. I don't use
suspend.

> Some chargers only work at 100mA which will charge you when the phone is off
> or suspended (slowly) but it will gradually discharge if you have the phone
> drawing operational power.

erm, i don't know how to tell for sure, but I'm pretty sure it's getting
500mA from the PC - it will charge to 100% in a few hours (not the 12
hours needed at 100mA). it's plugged directly into a USB port, not a USB
hub or anything like that. Host is running fedora, not sure how to
determine how much power the it's drawing, but 'lsusb -v' gives me
(among much other info):

    bmAttributes         0xc0
      Self Powered
    MaxPower              500mA

the way I'm plugging it in hasn't changed since It used to charge to
100% and stay there.

Thanks,
-Dale