Hi, On Tue, 24.03.2009 at 00:04:26 +0000, Al Johnson <[email protected]> wrote: > On Monday 23 March 2009, Toni Mueller wrote: > > about one or two weeks ago, I've purchased a new FR, but haven't gotten > > it to work as much as to be usable as a phone yet. The only application > > that seems to be reliable so far is "sudoku", which I don't need. > > Few people can agree on what a 'usable phone' is, but some of us have found > combinations that make the Freerunner usable for us.
can we perhaps agree on "all hardware usable on a daily basis"? > There are a _lot_ of options though, Yes, but documentation is _poor_. > combination. I hope you find something that works for you. I hope, too, but currently, and although I consider myself a Free Software zealot, I am about to lose hope. > There were a few issues with uboot early on, but if yours shipped with 2008.8 > it probably has a fixed version. There may be an argument for updating to Qi, > but you are probably better off sticking with uboot for the moment. I read about Qi, but since it can't do the networking and flashing stuff, according to the wiki, I didn't try. Currently, maintenance facilities are of utmost importance to me. > GTA02 is the Freerunner. v6 is the board revision, and the 0360 shows that it > is v6 that you have. It includes a couple of relatively minor improvements Thanks for the clarification. > over v5, and is AFAIK still the latest version shipping. It was advertised as having a "GPS fix" over v5, and I'd like to verify that GPS works (ie, as opposed to having a (partially) DOA device). > This may be because of a networking problem, Not on my end, though. I specified a local Squid proxy to go through. > or the repositories may have moved. The URLs for the repositories can > be found in files under /etc/opkg. I can't comment on the specifics > for 2008.12 as I haven't used it. Under /etc/opkg I find only the addresses of the repositories that were configured by the system, but not the repositories that I should try to access. IOW, I don't know what to write there. > > * I can make and receive calls. I sound like I'm in an old oil can, > > however. > More recent distros (should) have fixed the echo problem. That was claimed of the Om2008.12, too. > Low audio volume can be fixed by adjusting the mixer settings. I find > manually > adjusting the config files easiest, but there is also a GUI available. See: > http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Neo_Freerunner_audio_subsystem Ok... a shell in the box, w/o the need to SSH into it, would be nice, too. > > Using the phone near a server (no problem for my old standard phone, > > a 6230i) can safely be ruled out that way. It also only works when > > I'm standing near a GSM station. At home, where my standard phone "near" = in sight of > This seems odd. My FR has similar sensitivity to my old k700. It might be > worth checking the label under the battery to see you have the > 900/1800/1900MHz European version not the 850/1800/1900MHz US version. I was once able to make a call, and I just checked the label to confirm that I have the European version. But then I read about a GSM update that is both recommended and highly dangerous - I didn't try that one yet, however, as it's also a bit hazy in the docs... > I assume that's a 2008.12 bug. Umm... It never worked, neither before nor after the flashing, and also even not with the external antenna. > > FWIW, I expect to be able to use the device as a phone, a navigation > > system, a music player and voice recorder. > > That should be possible. tangogps and navit provide mapping with raster and > vector maps respectively. Yes, but it needs GSM and GPS before I can use two of these functions. > Try some of the other distros. You may find it easier to boot off SD rather > than reflash every time, and you could even dual- or multi-boot. See: > http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Booting_from_SD This is also only mentioned, but I could find no mentioning of how to _install_ something on the SD card in the first place, or at least, I didn't find it yet. Likewise for selecting the right one out of umpteen distros that I might have installed (I have an 8GB card in the device). > See http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Distributions for an overview of what's Done that already... the list gave the impression that the Om2008.12 (maybe a more recent edition?) would still be the best bet, though. Thank you! Kind regards, --Toni++ _______________________________________________ support mailing list [email protected] https://lists.openmoko.org/mailman/listinfo/support
