Frimmel, Ivan (ISS South Africa) wrote:
And does CARP have to be running?

I am not having CARP in mind, as CARP and link sharing are two different things. If CARP has to be running then this may not be what I want. Specifically I am looking at http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.rpdb.multiple-links.html

This Linux command is working well for me.

ip route add default scope global nexthop via $P1 dev $IF1 weight 1 \
            nexthop via $P2 dev $IF2 weight 1

I think the answer to 6 would be something like a DNS box on the ISP's
network .. or perhaps even something like www.microsoft.com ?

This is exactly what I have done.

More Queries as I am going through the steps:

Create NAT-Rules for your WAN-POOL

   1. visit firewall>NAT>Outbound
   2. enable advanced outbound nat
   3. check the automatically created rules.
   4. create rules for all your internal networks to map to OPT interfaces..
(one rule for
      each internal network to each opt-interface in the pool)

I could not understand this? Which OPT interface?  "each internal network" ? I
have only one.

   5. Apply the changes

Policy based balancing

   1. Edit a firewall rule on the LAN or Optional interfaces.
* NOTE! We do not recommend editing the default pass all rule! Create a new rule before the default rule for your policy.
   2. Set the gateway to the newly created pool

Done!.

It seems the loadbalancer is working. I am able to tcpdump the second gateway and see some packets. But when I traceroute from the lan, all packets goes via the first gateway. Also can I specify the priority of each gateway. ie I have an 1mbps link and a 256kbps, out of 5 packets 4 must go through 1mbps link and one via 256 kbps. Also in the wish list is to specify one gateway for some ips. ie dns and smtp server for first isp should always be routed via first isp and vice versa.

raj