Thank you indeed Chris

I understand the modem is largely bridging, as I think you are suggesting,
given the Internet IP address appears on the pfSense WAN
NIC.

This is the sort of approach I was looking for.

Given my ISP is declared on my email address here I won't comment about New
Zealand ISP's here.

I might however point out that I have not disagreed with you in any way.

My presumption is that it is either coming from pfSense or indeed, as you
suggest, the ISP.  There are some TiVo's on the LAN here
that also are intermittently having issues downloading data for no apparent
reason when everything is connected, also using a proxy.
(VOIP and Skype also running)

I'll install 1.2b1 on another CF card and see what transpires.

I am pretty sure the unplug / plug in has been tried in the past, without
success, will try again to be sure.

Kind regards
David Hingston.