On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 09:30, Vick Khera <vi...@khera.org> wrote:
> What threats are you defending against?  The firewall will not protect
> you against application flaws such as cross site scripting and SQL
> injection attacks.

I agree, but given the context and content (no disrespect intended
either), I'm not sure Raleigh knows what he's looking for or what he's
defending against.

Raleigh:  the most basic form of firewalling today is precisely what
you stated - packet filtering.  Firewalls in this category (pfSense
included) filter at OSI layers 2-4, meaning they don't get any deeper
into the packet than IP and port number.  This defends against basic
attacks & reconnaissance including some DoS, address spoofing, port
scanning, and so on.  pfSense also adds load balancing, VPN
termination, and other border services as well.

If, as Ben & Vick have asked, you are interested in application-level
filtering (SQL injection, XSS, and other "layer 7" attacks), you'll
need to look at something more like a reverse proxy running
mod_security - pfSense does not offer application-level filters.

RB