On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 01:18, Tortise <tort...@paradise.net.nz> wrote:
> Check out the Linksys wrt54g3g which I use with a 3G XU870, (cheap 2nd hand)
> works well for portable Internet connections for a
> battery of wireless notebooks.  It runs from 12V so car battery power is also
> an option.

Actually the best 3G router option I've found is an Alix 6b2.  It has
a miniPCI Express slot you can use for the cellular connection (no
miniPCI solutions exist AFAIK) and an LX800 with 256MB of memory.
$113 for the board, $10 for the case, and $??? for a card and
continued connectivity.

I also thought the wrt54g3g would be nice and have actually spend a
considerable amount of time working with it and getting better support
for it into OpenWRT.  For the price, the hardware is anemic compared
to the 6b2.  Their implementation of a TI cardbus on the mipsel
architecture is buggy to say the least, and added to the rather awful
"open source" releases they made it's been impossible to get a
2.6-series linux kernel running on it.  It is one of the two remaining
piles of Broadcom fail that force *WRT to continue to support
2.4-series kernels.

Linksys' releases are generically okay, but largely just pay lip
service to the open source concept.  Once you start digging into
model-specific features (like the G3G cardbus or the AG310's SIP
interface) you run into a brick wall of binary lumps that "happened"
to get shipped with the release instead of the source you were looking
for.