My understanding of forwarding also was that address learning is a normal part of switch operation. But, I find it odd that turning that off lets the fail-over box ping the CARP IP on the primary box, with address learning on, I am unable to do that.

A clarification about the Carp setup -- Each PfSense server has a dedicated interface connected to each other via a crossover cable. This is the interface that is configured to send and receive pfsync and its related traffic in the carp setup page. The firewall rules for this dedicated interface on each server are to allow all traffic on the interface.

With a dedicated interface for the Carp related stuff to use, do the other interfaces still send and receive multi-cast pfsync traffic?