Are you looking in the debug window?

I'd expect a lot more output. I'm not completely sure, but I think the errors you are quoting appear in the main window, not the debug window.

The first error you report is very general, and basically says something went wrong talking to the server. The second is probably a consequence of the first.

Without more debugging information, it is anyone's guess what went wrong.

This is a longer description of the first error:

"There was an error sending or receiving on the network socket, or there was some protocol error (such as the server sending malformed data)."

As you can see, it is very general.

Information on how to obtain a debug log can be found at <https://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/TipsForBugReports#ObtainingaDebugLog>.