Sorry, I can only help as much because I never tried the new ICQ plugin myself. If it doesn't work for you, you may want to report a bug to the plugin.

That said, you may get some insight into what's going on if you open in Pidgin Help → Debug window, and then look at the output as you re-connect or do some actions.