> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 09:51:58 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Robert Greene <gre...@math.ucla.edu>
> Subject: Re: [Sursound] Minim AD7 for sale
> To: Surround Sound discussion group <sursound@music.vt.edu>
>

> Here is a post that makes sense in the real world.
> Of course it is intriguing to work out how
> to create the impression of a mosquito circling around
> your head. But it is really not important musically.
>
> What is wrong with stereo?
> 1 It is all in front
> 2 It is too LITTLE. Real orchestras are 15 meters or so wide, or more.
> And concerthalls are huge compared to home listening rooms.
>
> What counts for music, real concert music as opposed to music
> constructed for surround(which is a small art form to say the least)
> is to get it to surround you are far as ambience is concerned
> and to get it to sound LARGE and as if in a large place-
> preferrably the large place in which it actually occurred.
>
> And this is pretty much all that counts to my mind.
>
> Unfortunately, I have yet to hear any domestic system
> that solved the large size problem. Surrounded yes, orchestra
> 15 meters across, not really
>
> Robert

I agree with all that. I would only add that depth and height are part of that
perception, the stuff from behind is almost irrelevant. And in referring to
height I am not thinking about sound sources from above (there are very few of
those in any music I would particularly like to listen to anyway :) but more
about the fact that even solo instruments do not radiate as point sources (or
even planar sources) towards the listener. The difference between a piano
recording with a soundfield mic (not TM) played periphonically and only
horizontally is astounding; the change is of coloration in the instrument.
Musicians notice this immediately, others tend to hear the stuff coming from
behind....

Geoffrey