On 05/11/2011 01:03 AM, Gerard Lardner wrote:
There was a discussion about speakers for Ambisonics a few years ago. I
can't remember exactly when. But I do seem to recall that it was
suggested that speakers having a single axis (e.g. a single, wide-range
driver or concentric drivers) would be better than speakers having
drivers spread relatively widely over the front plane;

following others on this list, i may have suggested that in the past, but it might not be too important after all, unless in extreme near-field conditions. the only coax system i've heard so far is the IEM cube, and the system sounds great, but that's probably due to careful acoustic treatment more than to the tannoy 1200 concentric drivers. i haven't had any bad experience with twin-axial designs. the only thing that happens is you get a slight change of timbre around the crossover frequency when you stand as opposed to when you sit down, and that's only for horizontal-only systems - as soon as the z-axis is added, those small changes are masked by the other speakers, in my experience. but of course a real point source is conceptually quite elegant if you can get it, and i know that richard lee has recommended the KEF eggs more than once, which are coax iiuc. they'd certainly be my HOA dream setup for home use...

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487

Tonmeister VDT

http://stackingdwarves.net