On 09/07/2011 10:03, ch...@chriswoolf.co.uk wrote:
60 degrees seems excessive head movement for someone seated listening to
speakers..

Why ? It's a natural thing to do if there is any significant sound
from that direction. Why should being listening to speakers make
any difference ? I like to forget I'm listening to speakers.
And *if* I turn my head, for whatever reason, and the illusion
collapses, I'm not impressed... [Fons]

I'd take that a stage further - the ideal arrangement would allow you to move around within the sound field with complete freedom. You should indeed be unaware of where any speakers are - and "sweet spots", and need to face rigidly in one direction, are anathema to the anyone but a dedicated (and perhaps blinkered?) enthusiast.

Listen you! I am at home not Glastonbury. I know when a play a recording, or watch TV, that there is nothing actually there! If I hear a sound behind am I supposed to get up and walk around, or use a mirror, just to look at the bloody walls. And don't confuse me with an audiophool.

I've only ever had the chance to observe two demos (one Ambisonic, one WFS) which have been sufficiently impressive (with the programme material available) that the NON-cognoscenti recognised that they were in a space that wasn't the same as the physical room.

Chris Woolf