On 09/07/2011 21:38, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
On Sat, Jul 09, 2011 at 09:19:07PM +0100, Stefan Schreiber wrote:

Fons Adriaensen wrote:

On Sat, Jul 09, 2011 at 02:04:21PM -0400, Marc Lavallée wrote:

The perceived "directional bandwidth" of stereo recordings is better
than what conventional stereo (with cross-talk) can reproduce.
This is again a game of words.

Most stereo recordings are made to be reproduced by two speakers,
seen by the listener at an angle of 60 to 90 degrees, and such that
the signals from either speaker reach both ears. That is the way it
is supposed to work. There is a solid theory behind this. Calling
this 'crosstalk (a term which has a negative connotation as a defect
of audio equipment), and the cure 'crosstalk cancellation' amounts to
gross intellectual dishonesty. The signals you find on the vast majority
of stereo records are _not_ meant to be delivered one-to-one to the
ears.

And people listen to the same stuff via headphones?
The fact that many recordings intended for speaker reproduction
(in particular those using panned mono sources) work also on
headphones is remarkable, and an illustration of how adaptive
our hearing can be. But almost always you can improve the results
on headphones by introducing the sort of 'crosstalk' that a
speaker system would produce. Either using HRTF, or in the
simplest case a highpass filter on the difference signal (which
is a crude approximation). The exceptions are binaural recordings
of course, which should be left as they are.

The simple fact is that there is *fundamental* difference between
signals supposed to be correct when delivered 1-to-1 to the ears,
and those intended to be reproduced using two speakers. The vast
majority of available records are of the second kind.

Ciao,

Care to send a clip of an impossible-to-sound-as-good-as-with-stereo recording for me to play with. ps. You misunderstand the nature of my A-HYBRID filter, I think. I certainly hope so. pps. I am sure M Gerzon knew that ambisonics (low order) has theoretical sweet spot the size of a pea, but it still sounds good to some people, His fans are still as self-righteous as ever. ppps How are higher-order microphones coming aloing these days, or are we still happy truncating the infinite series at one order above an omni?