On 09/07/2011 22:28, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
On 07/09/2011 11:13 PM, dw wrote:

Care to send a clip of an impossible-to-sound-as-good-as-with-stereo
recording for me to play with.

well, this kind of stand-off isn't likely to lead anywhere. "sounds good" is very hard to define or even test.

i'm not terribly interested in applying xtc to standard stereo, because i know that perfect xtc is achived with headphones, and i don't like the imaging of stereo over headphones. and before you ask: i don't like the imaging of headphones bent outwards so as to benefit from my pinna filters, either.
speaker xtc can only be worse than headphones.

ps. You misunderstand the nature of my A-HYBRID filter, I think. I
certainly hope so.

i've browsed the readme on your site - is there some more in-depth information about this filter somewhere?

I certainly hope not, apart from what I explained to Fons here, about the one I gave away , which was 'HYBRID'. I think I may 'disappear from the face of the earth' again, shortly. I've had enough already.
ps. I am sure M Gerzon knew that ambisonics (low order) has theoretical
sweet spot the size of a pea, but it still sounds good to some people,
His fans are still as self-righteous as ever.

i could imagine way worse things than being called a MAG fanboy. there has been very constructive discussion in the past about why first-order works way better than it obviously should, and what its limits are. this exchange however doesn't quite cut it in the "constructive" department.

So how does this 'human energy-vector-detector" work then?

It is not the being a fan that I object to. I am a bit of a fan myself. You never objected to the non-constructive and rude comments of others..

ppps How are higher-order microphones coming aloing these days, or are
we still happy truncating the infinite series at one order above an omni?

higher order microphones work in principle, but are nowhere near as pleasant as simpler stereo microphones. in addition to coloration problems, they suffer from noise problems due to the high gains required.

What you need is a 'virtual' high-order microphone.