Marinos Koutsomichalis <mari...@agxivatein.com> wrote:
> but still I' m not quite sure about the most important issue:
> which is the most 'common' file-format for such things ?

In terms of installed base of players, AC3 and DTS are the most common
formats for delivery of surround audio.  VLC player can decode either
one, as can the DVD playing software preinstalled on many PCs.
Ambisonia and Nimbus have distributed 4-channel G-format ('speaker
feed') files in DTS-WAV format, which is DTS encoded audio in a
RIFF/WAV wrapper that can be burnt to a CD and played in most home
theater setups.  Judging form the limited statistics I had access to
and the comments on the site, many people downloaded, played
successfully, and enjoyed the DTS-WAV files distributed on Ambisonia.
If you need help with any of this, feel free to ask.

--
Aaron Heller <hel...@ai.sri.com>
Menlo Park, CA  US