On 2011-11-25, Marinos Koutsomichalis wrote:

but still I' m not quite sure about the most important issue: which is the most 'common' file-format for such things ?

In order the two most common ones are (I think):

1) Microsoft's AVI container (RIFF), with video as pure MPEG-2 and audio
   as 2 or 5.1 MPEG-2 layer 3 audio (mp3), or
2) any of Matroska/AVI/BMFF(MP4) container, with h.264/MPEG-4 AVC video,
   and AAC audio, inside.

The latter rhymes well with HTML5, for example. Apple's QuickTime, as a container format and the prototype for MPEG-4's BMFF, and OTOH CAF, work well with all of that stuff. So does the .3gpp mobile stuff, because it's basically the same .mp4 thingy. So: I'd go with pure mpeg-2 video and layer 2 audio for full compatibility. It will only buy you stereo. If you want more, go with either of Matroska or mp4 as a container, then one of the h.264 profiles for video (full is my favourite, but it can kill a nettop; go with Advanced Simple if you can), and AAC for audio (it also has profiles; at 48kbps stereo you should do HE-AAC; at 96kbps you can do without the HE part; at somewhere around 240-320kbps, with all of the coding options in use, you can finally do perceptually transparent 5.1, and not just "FM quality").

Would sth like quicktime or VLC or Windows-Media-Player playback 4-channel Flacs or mp3-surround or whatever without any need for additional tweaking ???

I think you are asking the wrong question. There are many ways in which to project four channels of sound to a listener/audience. Around here, the right question is "where did those channels come from, what do they mean, and what do you want to do with them besides awe people."

I'm pretty sure we can tell you what to do with your channels. But first you have to tell us what that data is about, in all. How was it captured? What do you really want to do with it? A perfect reconstruction of what happened on-stage? Sure we can give you all of it, but first you have to tell us the basic numbers, with which we then calculate. :)

I did some web-research and I think that the most common formats for that surround sound is mp3/flac and AAC

You should prolly always save everything you do as FLAC, because it's fully lossless. Then save your encoding and decoding software as well. But for distribution purposes, nobody and nothing decodes FLAC: That's a matter of life, unfortunately.
--
Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy - de...@iki.fi, http://decoy.iki.fi/front
+358-50-5756111, 025E D175 ABE5 027C 9494 EEB0 E090 8BA9 0509 85C2