> Questions follow:

Not answers, but some thoughts that might help, pending
any answers ...

> 1. Is there any preferred method of calibrating speakers used in an
> Ambisonic setup?

I'd look at Jörn Nettingsmeier's paper, and particularly his slides
(both PDFs) on digital room correction for ambisonics.
We implemented his method, here, earlier this year (if you
want any more comments!).

> 2. Has anyone compared or noted differences between the Virtual Visual
> Microphone (VVM) software and offline processing using MATLAB?

Beware Matlab ... it gets Condon-Shortley 'wrong' (from an ambisonic,
if not a quantum mechanic, point of view)   ;-(>

> 3. I have seen discussion and articles regarding Ambisonics and shelving
> filters.

Ambdec comes with some nice ready made configuration files.
Think you can take these to be 'state of the art'.
(Even if you don't use Ambdec, you can look at the config's;-)>

For the background theory see the BLah series (which you are
probably referring to above).

> Any recommendations as to "best" filter settings based on
> speaker-to-listener radius?

Are you suggesting altering the frequency setting in relation
to distance? Not sure what the basis for that would be.

> for such a tiny, 8-speaker arrangement? Would this system even lend itself
> to Ambisonics?

Eight speakers for two-dimensional / horizontal / pantophonic
first-order ambisonics is over-kill ... ...

Hope my quick thoughts help your own thinking ... and hope
you get some more profound answers.

Michael