actually, to control "image size" (apparent source width), one must control the
interaural cross correlation rather finely, which in practice means controlling
(or varying) inter-channel cross correlation (though with surround sound -
ambisonic or otherwise, one actually has to control more speakers to govern the
ear signals).

So, to go from an image as a point, to a more general, room-filling non-image
sound, there is a variety of considerations and treatments. To enlarge an
image, careful decorrelation of pairs (or more, see above) of signal feeds (to
treat individual images, we are talking about this being on the encoding, not
decoding end; in old fashioned terms, on the input side of the desk, not
speaker feeds). This can be done with slight pitchshifts, taking harmonic
slices and panning them, tiny delays, or a combination.

Going from an enlarged image to a property of being everywhere really isnt a
case of simply routing it to all available speakers - multichannel mono simply
(because of precedence effects for off-centre listeners) pulls the perception
to the nearest speaker. So the same principles of decorrelation  as for image
widening (and note - apparent source width can actually refer to up-down as
well as lateral) should be used across the array. That way, you'd have a sense
of the sound being everywhere, and nowhere in particular - which is what I
think was the original intention
cheers
ppl
Dr Peter Lennox