From: sursound-boun...@music.vt.edu [mailto:sursound-boun...@music.vt.edu] On
Behalf Of Richard Dobson
Sent: 18 April 2012 14:21
To: Surround Sound discussion group
Subject: Re: [Sursound] audio point / audio plenum

On 18/04/2012 13:55, Gregorio Garcia Karman wrote:
> I reckon someone mentioned Stockhausen here but my enquiry is not
> related to a piece by him but rather to his british homologous, ie.
> one of the electronic music pioneers in England: Roberto Gerhard.
> Unfortunately there is not much documentation available relating to
> this work, as the piece was never performed. G

"plenum" is a reasonably well-established word (though I can well
imagine Stockhausen would find an esoteric meaning for it); and as we
all know Gerhard had a mastery of the English language that surpassed
what most native-born composers generally managed. See e.g.:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plenum_chamber

So I think it would be fine to treat it as a succinct expression of the
idea of filling the space (um, soundfield?), but not necessarily with
any more precise  technical meaning, unless, perhaps, "envelopment".
Indeed, if anything it may specially signify the ~absence~ of a sense of
directionality.

(So I guess using HOA is specifically ~not~ indicated here...)

Richard Dobson