Thanks Paul : Somebody (perhaps you) already suggested Opera.
And yes I have installed it and it does 'work'.

I didn't want to put my 'personal' problems on the list, but
ah well:

Opera is now trying to route through some proprietory ADSL
box  .  .  .  and I'm trying to understand the opaque
instructions about the box's firewall.
I am quite used to tweaking firewalls on servers and on
benchtop machines, but the box seems to have its own
'little tricks'.

So thanks, but it's back to reading the manual, I fear ...

Michael