On 2012-10-05, Paul Hodges wrote:

Blue Ripple Sound decoders are generally single-band at low order but become quite frequency-dependent as the order is increased,

I was under the impression that frequency-dependant decoding was more important the lower the order - or am I misunderstanding something?

You are perfectly correct, there. It's just that the optimum decoder optimization problem becomes evermore illposed at the higher orders when the rig is anything other than fully regular, even if its basic potential is clearly better than at lower orders.

Or is it? There is some empirical evidence which suggests that few speakers, akin to the early ambisonic work, and then full diffraction limited arrays at least upto speech frequencies, as in WFS work, function the best. While anything in between could lead to harmful multiple arrivals off centre, combing artifacts, "Giant Geese", and the like.
--
Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy - de...@iki.fi, http://decoy.iki.fi/front
+358-50-5756111, 025E D175 ABE5 027C 9494 EEB0 E090 8BA9 0509 85C2