A bit of a warning...  Richard Furse's Ambisonic Decoding Equations
page is a useful resource, but is a bit vague on how the different
matrices should be used (or adapted).

Specifically, the coefficients listed as "Rig Decode Matrix to
Reproduce Spherical Harmonics" (which have also been called
"matching", "system", "basic", ....) should not be used above roughly
400Hz. (See BLaH3 for a discussion of this).

Also, the "controlled opposites" matrices given are useful for large
areas, but are not optimal for smaller setups, for listening by one or
two people.  These matrices minimize opposite polarity signals.

Decode matrices that maximize the "energy localization vector"
(rE_max) lie between these two. My understanding is that Richard's
Blue Ripple uses rE_max decoders. Appropriate gain adjustments for 1
to 5th order are in Tables 1 and 2 in BLaH6. Formulas are in given in
Appendix A.

Some of the difficulties and tradeoffs in designing a first-order
decoder for irregular layouts like ITU5.1 layout are discussed in
BLaH4.

The BLaH papers can be downloaded at
  http://www.ai.sri.com/ajh/ambisonics/

Also, as discussed in BLaH3, we've found that the quality of software
ambisonic decoders varies widely.  I urge thorough testing before
using any of them for research work, and when writing up the work,
please specify precisely how the decoding was done.

--
Aaron (hel...@ai.sri.com)
Menlo Park, CA  US