On Fri, Nov 02, 2012 at 10:18:46PM +0000, Peter Lennox wrote:

> Basically, stereo intrinsically features cross-talk; listening
> over headphones removes this.
> So putting it back in, via some kind of Blumlein shuffling, fixes
> that. if you want externalisation, you need some room effect
> (artificially generated or whatever). So you can have 'stereo-
> via-headphones', it's just a case of subtlety.

Absolutely true. Signals that work well when using speakers
(e.g. Blumlein) don't sound right on headphones, and vice-
versa (even more). The two are fundamentally different, a fact
blissfully ignored in many discussions on stereo recording
tecnniques etc. You can find a compromise that works for both,
but it will fail to deliver what can be achieved using signals
optimized for either situation.

It's something I've learned over years of live concert recording:
you (or at least, I) can't trust any judgement on direct/reverb
ratio or image width when listening on headphones to a recording
that is intended to be reproduced using speakers. So, unless I'm
in a place I know very well from previous work, I tend to record
a bit closer than required (since it's easier to add reverb than
to remove it), and using a coincident technique that allows to
modify the image width in post-production.

Ciao,

--
FA