HI Jorn,
Thanks for the well informed reply as usual.

> honestly, for a system like that, i wouldn't think about windows even for
> a split second. there is really only one sane system choice, and that is
> clearly linux. for your frontend and user experience, by all means go with
> windows if it suits you, but for the backend machine(s)? never.

The last system I built used Linux with soundscape renderer (excellant
program) and would definitely be my first choice. However I need height
information as well for this system. Matt Montags WFSdesigner does this but
last time I checked it was only compiled for windows. Ill have a chat to
Miguel about Game of life though - or if soundscape renderer height
information ....

> yes. swap the MADI to ADAT bridge for a directout exbox, and if you can,
> the behringers for directout andiamos (as mentioned by fons before).
>
> as others mentioned before, directout madi gear can be set to "start
> addresses", so that when you chain two 32ch andiamos, the first one will
> pick out ch 1-32 from its input and insert its AD into channels 1-32 of the
> output, and the second one can then deal with the upper half.

Excellent - thankyou

> the andiamos have dsub outs.
>
> when you design the installation, be very wary of the "last mile" of adat
> cabling - it's a very weak link. make the toslink cables short, ideally put
> them in a separate conduit so they don't get stressed when you have to
> revisit the other wiring, and don't coil them, it deteriorates the signal
> rapidly. if you have to coil them, the larger the bending radius, the less
> signal damping you'll get.
>
> adat sync loss was (and still is afaik) the bane of the wfs system at tu
> berlin.
>

> disclaimer: i'm personally acquainted with the directout developers, and
> they have helped me out with gear loans several times.
> in any case, their stuff is excellent and i can totally recommend it.
>

> Nice one Jorn - really useful info - thanks again
>

> --
> Jörn Nettingsmeier
> Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487
>
> Meister für Veranstaltungstechnik (Bühne/Studio)
> Tonmeister (VDT)
>
> http://stackingdwarves.net

07580951119

augustine.leudar.com