Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:

if you want height because you're unhappy with the degree of ambience and envelopment that horizontal wfs offers you, then just restrict yourself to direct sources on the horizontal plane and add a few speakers above and below. use algorithmic reverb to feed them. for natural recordings, render mono point sources on the wfs, add some plane waves recorded with fig8s hamasaki-style. for the additional non-wfs speakers, hamasakis work well too, and maybe some cardioids pointing away from the direct sound or boundary mics on the walls.

volker werner taught me this approach at ICSA (he was directing the IOSONO recording, together with frank melchior), and the result was quite spectacular. we had only four height speakers in addition to an 80-something 2d wfs, but they made a huge difference in terms of timbre and envelopment. height localisation was never an objective, though.

Then use fewer speakers than WFS,  and  still use height?

(Getting increasingly angry if reading this thread. At first you have to set some aims, and after this you would look for some solution.

Efficiency matters in engineering, BTW.)

Best,

Stefan Schreiber

P.S.: Oh, and Windowz supports only 254 instead of 256 output channels, which is a HUGE problem IF you want to use 255 or 256 channels.

Hope they didn't need 257 channels, which breaks everything again... :-D

P.S. 2: Mac OS might be able to support the 256 channel number, but I am not sure if this helps. (Apple won't go into the WFS business...)

P.S. 3: Stays Linux, but which one?!