On 19/02/2013, at 4:50 AM, Dave Malham wrote:

> The guys you need to talk to are  Dave Worrall  and Kimmo Vennonen who
> have one a lot of things in Geodesic domes down in Oz. Dave, at least,
> was a member of this group- he as a website at
> http://www.avatar.com.au/worrall/
>

>     Dave

Hi Dave (hope you're family is enjoying your retirement too :-) , All...
I'm still a member of this group - not much time ATM so just mostly lurking
these days :-(  (*)

To hone Dave's reference:
http://www.avatar.com.au/worrall/index.php/polymedia-event-theatres
+ I'm in the design phase of a new one:
http://www.avatar.com.au/worrall/index.php/polymedia-event-theatres/pet-3-dome-cluster

2 thoughts:
1. Comments by Ben and Augustine are excellent. The height 'cluister' that Ben
mentions
> What I noticed was the ambisonic material felt very "high" compared to
> other spaces. It would have been nice to have speakers below the dome,
> especially subs to pull the image downward a bit by having sources below
> the audience as well as above.

is a known phenomena/problem. I guess it is related to whether you're playing
recorder or synthesised material.
 If the latter, which was mostly our case, when loudspeakers are evenly placed
on the surface of the hemisphere, then the speakers overhead seem to be too
close together i.e cluster. This together w. the known coherence-death-zone
(the centre of the spheroid), was somewhat overcome by eliminating the
loudspeaker at the very top of the dome.

I concur that low-placed subs - even under the audience if possible, help to
ground the sound. I couldn't work out from Ben's post whether his only subs
were "at the top splayed out pointing in 360 degrees". If so, that would seem
to be counter to one's sense of most low sounds being 'near the ground' ( low
frequencies are heard more through the feet that the top of the head).

2. The reflective nature of the surface-to-surface and surface-to-floor
couplings are critical. We used large projection screens and mounted
acoustically absorbent material on the back of them to reduce the
dome-as-resonator effect.

Hope this helps. Some photos might be useful, as they often reveal things we
forget to mention.

-David
(*) Actually, I've been doing 24 hour recordings w. Len's TetraMic. Just
finished the summer version. I was using his binaural set in parallel, but it
mysteriously gave up the ghost. Been meaning to write to him....
The project is:
http://www.avatar.com.au/worrall/index.php/current-projects/34-on-turner-sump
(no sound online yet....)

> [...]
>> was louder in one tiny patch on the other side of the building than 3 m
>> away from the speaker etc etc. When I got it in the main biome it sounded
>> completely different of course.
>> The only thing I can advise you is not to go in with a set idea of how your
>> going to do it but to try different configurations and see what sounds best
>> once your in there - I know its a pain in the neck but these things usually
>> need to be tuned to acoustic peculiarities that are impossible to predict.
>> Its why I always like to have at elast three days before an event to do
>> this.
>> You can read about some the installations
>> here<http://web.archive.org/web/20110719132826/http://www.edenproject.com/come-and-visit/whats-on/heart-of-darkness.php>
>> Hope this helps !
>>

>> On 18 February 2013 16:47, Neil Waterman <neil.water...@asti-usa.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Greetings,
>>>
>>> Does anyone on the list have prior experience installing ambi-based 3D
>>> sound into 'dome' shaped replay environments?
>>>
>>> Any tips, specifically on speaker placement, approaches, etc.
>>>
>>> The problems I am facing include a 12 foot 240 degree partial dome made of
>>> fabric, an 18 foot 240 degree partial dome using fiberglass and a much
>>> bigger 40 foot 360 degree full dome in fiberglass.
>>>
>>> All of the above will actually be 1/2 domes in the sense they are not full
>>> spheres, but 1/2 a sphere resting on the ground.
>>>
>>> My only prior experience was with a full sphere, fibre dome that was a
>>> nightmare to put sound into…
>>>
>>> One option for the 40 foot dome is to use a central cluster of directional
>>> speakers, hung in a "chandelier" that would use the dome surface as a
>>> virtual speaker through reflection, but I have never tried this. My concern
>>> with this is that the listeners (who will be roughly central in all these
>>> dome areas) will hear both the direct sound and reflected sound and end-up
>>> with a confused mess.
>>>
>>> For all of these domes there will be an 18" skirt area below the dome that
>>> could be used for loudspeakers around the periphery - is it better to try
>>> to beam the sound directly at the listeners position, or perhaps use a more
>>> diffuse speaker, facing up into the dome face? There will be space to get
>>> at least one speaker overhead for all configurations.
>>>
>>> Regards, Neil

>> --
>> 07580951119
>>
>> augustine.leudar.com

> As of 1st October 2012, I have retired from the University, so this
> disclaimer is redundant....
>

> These are my own views and may or may not be shared by my employer
>
> Dave Malham
> Ex-Music Research Centre
> Department of Music
> The University of York
> Heslington
> York YO10 5DD
> UK
>
> 'Ambisonics - Component Imaging for Audio'

Dr David Worrall
Experimental Composer, Polymedia
Adjunct Research Fellow, Australian National University
david.worr...@anu.edu.au
Board Member, International Community for Auditory Display
Regional Editor, Organised Sound (CUP)
IT Projects, Music Council of Australia
worrall.avatar.com.au   sonification.com.au