From: sursound-boun...@music.vt.edu [mailto:sursound-boun...@music.vt.edu] On
Behalf Of Augustine Leudar
Sent: 19 February 2013 11:50
To: Surround Sound discussion group
Subject: Re: [Sursound] Any experience with dome acoustics?

You need LOTS of very closely aligned speakers and the software will take a
while to install/learn, then rendering the  channels also takes time if you do
it that way. The "holosonic" point source next to the ear is my holy grail - I
havent got it yet -  but I am told IRcams system can do this. I have heard
stories of weird phase effects next to the ear in other systems, and have got
that working - but thats not quite the same. The truth is you could probably
get something more spectacular going with quarter the amount of speakers and
Vbap.

On 19 February 2013 11:39, Peter Lennox <p.len...@derby.ac.uk> wrote:

> Just a quick one:
>
> It seems to me that a dome could be interesting used as a kind of
> wavefield synthesis device.
>
> Domes have the interesting property of focussing sound at a point that
> is opposite the source, as it were. So you can create a 'holosonic'
> point source right next to someone's ear
>
> Dr. Peter Lennox
>
> School of Technology,
> Faculty of Arts, Design and Technology University of Derby, UK
> e: p.len...@derby.ac.uk
> t: 01332 593155

07580951119

augustine.leudar.com