Didn't get chance to reply earlier.

About 12 years ago, I set up a system with 32 speakers on a hemisphere, 1st and
2nd order material
 with 8x subs, 1st order horizontal only , low pass 90 Hz

I excluded height for Lf simply because of the logistics of flying bins, but
also as elevation cues are Hf. Given that "elevation" is not the same as
"vertical" for listeners who tilt their heads ( in a complex 3-d sound field,
that seems to be most), nevertheless, the mid'n'tops (which actually went down
to about 70Hz)carried sufficient 'authority' (32 of 'em, remember) that it
didn't seem any problem - though no formal psychophysical testing, of course.

Over a relatively large listening area, (12m, I think) .

For mobile listeners, and indeed, off-centre listeners, the amplitude gradient
at Lf was readily discernible, so that kind of cue, though not normally part of
Duplex theory for directional hearing, seemed relevant to the experience.

Cheers
ppl

Dr. Peter Lennox

School of Technology,