From: sursound-boun...@music.vt.edu [sursound-boun...@music.vt.edu] On Behalf
Of etienne deleflie [edelef...@gmail.com]
Sent: 24 February 2013 22:30
To: Eric Carmichel; Surround Sound discussion group
Subject: Re: [Sursound] Saga of the Subs

> ELC: Visual cues may play part in this ability, too, but I fully agree
> with you: The sound-source direction is unambiguous in certain situations.
> This is why I wish to include multiple subs in my forthcoming experiments.
> Another common myth is how much the Doppler Effect plays in our perception
> of an object moving towards or away from us. A car moving towards us will
> have a constant, albeit upwardly shifted, frequency. There is no frequency
> change until the moment the car passes. Note that I selectively use the
> word frequency, not pitch. Perceived pitch DOES change, but is a function
> of increasing intensity, not a constantly-changing frequency.

do you mean increasing intensity of the whole frequency spectrum, or just
the increasing intensity of the higher frequencies? Higher frequencies are
more perceivable, but that will be a function of a change in frequency
spectrum, more than an increase in intensity. Would it not?

Etienne

--
http://etiennedeleflie.net