On distance perception:

I don't know if it's still available, but Pavel Zahorik had a paper reviewing
auditory distance perception some years ago. As has been said here, Doppler,
whatever else it is, isn't really a distance cue.

I'd say the 'potential cues' and the 'actual cues' used in any given situation,
and the perceptual weighting of cues in particular circumstances, varies so
much that distance perception - and change-of-distance perception, are far more
complex lab problems than direction, yet, oddly, are probably more perceptually
significant 'in the wild'.

I have a hunch that 'ground effect' (where most physical detritus accumulates,
due to gravity!) is under-explored in this context.

That is, in real environments, the higher the frequency the more scattering
takes place, with increased distance (range) - that's simply the physics of
wavelength and obstacle sizes. The effects of multiple signal paths at higher
frequencies are readily discernible, and especially, changes in this.
In fact, as a distance(range) cue, we could actually group this into a
phenomenon of measurable components that could be psychophysically tested.
 If anyone knows of work in this area, I'd be grateful.

People often talk about direct/indirect ratio - bit like dry/reverb ratio, but
actually, that makes it sound like a straightforward energy comparison; that
doesn't seem quite right - indeed, often, at a broad range of frequencies, it's
all indirect. So then you'd have to talk about "most direct/less direct", which
doesn't seem at all precise. The spectra consequences of multiple signal paths
- and changes of those due to object movement (in relation to reflective and
occlusive features in the environment) might offer physically-robust range cues
to perception, or at least change-of-range cues -

I've previously called this "comingness" - not just to annoy audio engineers
(that's just a bonus!) but we might call it 'auditory looming' just as we refer
to 'visual looming' - but we really need to keep in touch with the point that
one of the most important apperceptions one might have to be skilled in is in
understanding  "things-quite-near-me-and-getting-nearer-rapidly"

regards
ppl
Dr Peter Lennox

School of Technology,