On "...the medium and the message" - air is the (elastic) medium for sound, but
sound is the medium for information. In fact, inasmuch as perception relies
very heavily (but not exclusively) on sensation, then all the information we
pick up is via signals (which we sample), on receipt of which, the appropriate
information must be extracted; it's always a signal-to-noise problem.

In evolutionary terms, single-sense perception is something of a special case,
multimodal perception being the norm. So whilst individual sense modes can
function in standalone mode, it makes sense that information received is much
more robust when it occurs across several sense modes. It also makes sense that
such multimodal perception is likely to be more compelling (more 'real'). See
(for example) Shimojo labs (eg: Violentyev, A., Shimojo, S., and Shams, L.
Touch-induced visual illusion. NeuroReport, 16, 1107-1110, 2005.)

I tried an informal experiment - ostensibly just asking a few students to judge
the quality of two different ambisonic recordings of the same scene - a
peaceful countryside, near the lock of a small sleepy canal, with a distant
quiet railway line, bees going about their business (beesiness?), the odd
cyclist pedalling up the towpath.

I played it back in the ambisonic listening room over 20 speakers, at an
appropriate listening level, lights out.

Although this was all very casual, so no definitive conclusions can be drawn,
there was a preference in the half-dozen listeners (5 out of six said recording
"2" sounded slightly more realistic, a little more spacious and outdoorsy, you
could seem to hear slightly further, it was more pleasant somehow, etc).

The only difference between the two samples was actually that, in scenario "1"
they listened to the SF recording, in the comfortable, darkened room (about
3.5m x 3.5m) just as it came, whereas in scenario "2" there were three very
quiet (but not totally so) large desk fans (that were not remarkable because
they lived in that room) running at moderate speed and cycling from side to
side - the recording was actually the same one.

It did seem as though the very gentle air movement, which changed moment to
moment (but not in a hectic way) as the fans cycled side-to-side, made it feel
a lot more like being outside and as a consequence (I would guess) the
recordings sounded more 'realistic'.

Taking this principle of multimodal perception a little further, I would guess
that careful use of lights/projections, similar visual transient information
would probably sharpen the imagery of 1st order ambisonics (which can sometimes
be a little 'woolly'), and that careful use of Lf injected into the seat of the
listener could be used to manage proximity perception.

So, if asked to bet a fiver, I would put it on a measurable effect on perceived
sound quality by judicious use of smells

Oh, and on this "... As humankind strives to move forward, I’m curious what the
next “medium” may be, and how surround sound will be shaped by paradigm
shifts." - I'd bet that one day we'll discern a difference between "surround
sound" and "3-D sound", where the latter contains a great deal more depth of
field - distance information is probably at least as important in spatial
hearing as is direction perception...

Cheers
ppl

Dr. Peter Lennox