From: sursound-boun...@music.vt.edu [mailto:sursound-boun...@music.vt.edu] On
Behalf Of Sampo Syreeni
Sent: 23 April 2013 20:06
To: Surround Sound discussion group
Subject: Re: [Sursound] what mics do you use?

On 2013-04-23, Augustine Leudar wrote:

> I dont even think you can make proper binaural recordings as you wont
> have shoulder reflections (important elevation cue) or as Eric has
> already mentioned, the head, which will affect the ILDs and ITDs.

Under heavy assumptions you can, because our vertical resolution is so bad,
staged sound is so stereotypical (partly because of past limitations in
transmission technology), and because the variability in individual HRTF's
means some contingent of the whole populus will always like even bad degraded
against the mean reproductions. That's how
2-to-7.1 upconversion folks make their living.

Still, it requires prodigious amounts of processing power and deep
psychoacoustics to do even that, and the result only works in a very limited
setting. It has nothing to do with ambisonic, or even its highly processed
forms like various infinite order dynamic decoding matrices.
Such things assume *much* less about the sources than these kinds of schemes
do, both physically and psychoacoustically.

So no, "this thing is not ambisonic". Maybe we should have a list of things
that aren't, BTW, given that people keep on reinventing the wheel? Maybe as
part of the motherlode? :)
--
Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy - de...@iki.fi, http://decoy.iki.fi/front
+358-50-5756111, 025E D175 ABE5 027C 9494 EEB0 E090 8BA9 0509 85C2