I was just going to, in response to the passage below, suggest Gunther Theile
1985, but then noticed at the end of your post that you had indeed referenced
him

"...the brain is able to extrapolate from severely
comb-filtered sensory input and gives us the impression of hearing an
uncolored auditory event. good luck simplifying that :) i'm looking
forward to hearing about your test design..."

Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487

The key point there, as Gunther alluded to, is that there is a kind of
gestalt/auditory scene analysis/cognitive principle that a given signal quality
can belong to one schemata or another, but not both. So what the pinnae produce
is comb filtering, but it is heard as specific directions - and it is
correspondingly hard to introspect on the comb filter characteristic. Gunther
showed some ways that you can actually uncover that comb filter, in the course
of his demonstrating that a phantom image is not physically equivalent to a
real source, even if is perceptually equivalent (to whatever extent).

I would say that it is this perceptual equivalence that we call 'accurate' or
'realistic', with the codicil that physical and perceptual equivalence are not
directly correlated (in the real world as well as artificial worlds).

Incidentally, you can actually uncover that comb filter effect on the cheap,
without loads of experimental setup - walk around outside 'till you find an
extractor fan, running. Walk toward it, past it, slow down, try small head
movements. You can hear quite gross 'EQ' effects and wonder why you didn't
before. But be warned - once you hear it, it's hard to unhear...
cheers
ppl

I was
Dr Peter Lennox

School of Technology,
Faculty of Arts, Design and Technology
University of Derby, UK
e: p.len...@derby.ac.uk
t: 01332 593155

Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487

Tonmeister VDT

http://stackingdwarves.net