A first-order B-format panner needs to implement the equations

  W = S * sqrt(1/2)
  X = S * cos(az) * cos(el)
  Y = S * sin(az) * cos(el)
  Z = S * sin(el)

where S is the signal being panned and az and el define the direction.

The Calrec Soundfield MkIV controller box has analog circuitry for
something like this in the "Soundfield Controls" section.  Take a look at
   http://ambisonics.dreamhosters.com/schematic-4.pdf
 and
   http://ambisonics.dreamhosters.com/MkIV-Tech-Manual.pdf

to see how Ken Farrar and Richard Lee did it.

Aaron (hel...@ai.sri.com)
Menlo Park, CA  US