Great idea, the only problem being the presence of un-synced digital
electronics near ultra sensitive analogue electronics in the microphone
which would necessitate some very, very careful design to avoid
interference. Might be better to develop a smartphone app that took a photo
of the mic, geo-tagged it and associated that with the recorded file,
perhaps via a Bluetooth link to the recorder (easy if it's a computer based
one, not so easy with anything else, Apart from the environmental
recordings case, the situation where it would really come in handy (at
least, with an attached unit rather than a photo) is for a mic suspended on
a single cable, which won't necessarily stay oriented the same way all the
time due to subtle "untwisting" of the cable over time. I can vouch for
that from experience of suspending mics from the central tower of York
Minster.

    Dave

On 6 October 2013 17:41, Augustine Leudar <augustineleu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> another thing that might be really cool would be to have a time of day and
> GPS location feed,
> so then you'd know exactly where and when it was recorded - this might be
> useful for conservation projects...
>

> On 6 October 2013 16:08, Augustine Leudar <augustineleu...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Very interesting idea Eric. There are also sorts of insects, birds etc
> > that navigate by the Earths magnetic field, the moon (thats why moths
> > fly round a candle etc) . To navigate by a sound though it would have
> > to be a "fixed point" or a sound that stayed in the same place pretty
> > consistently for anything to navigate by - animals, insects and birds
> > move around a lot so it would be difficult to use them help with
> > navigation.  In the article above it shows theres some evidence birds
> > may use very low frequencies to help with navigation which are more
> > likely to be in the same place (tectonic plates rumbling etc) .
> > I am researching how plants respond to sound - and it is the opinion
> > of one biologist I worth with that hypothetically "the angle of
> > incidence" or direction a sound comes form might affect physiological
> > plays a role there too - though this would not be related to the
> > magnetic poles - just local sounds. There might be some relationship
> > between light and sound direction though - ie when the sun is setting
> > a certain bird might fly east or north etc etc
> >
> > On 06/10/2013, Augustine Leudar <augustineleu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >>

> http://news.sciencemag.org/physics/2013/01/sound-maps-may-help-pigeons-navigate

> > > recordings to document direction and GPS lat/lon.

> > > --
> > > 07580951119
> > >
> > > augustine.leudar.com
> > >

> > --
> > 07580951119
> >
> > augustine.leudar.com
> >

> --
> 07580951119
>
> augustine.leudar.com

As of 1st October 2012, I have retired from the University.

These are my own views and may or may not be shared by the University

Dave Malham
Honorary Fellow, Department of Music
The University of York
York YO10 5DD
UK

'Ambisonics - Component Imaging for Audio'