On 21/12/2013 16:24, Marc Lavallée wrote:
My comprehension of Ambisonics is that the listener's head (in the "sweetest spot") is exposed to one coherent approximation of a reproduced (or synthesized) sound field, not to a set of directional waves coming from the speakers (one directional wave per speaker). Understanding Ambisonics is already difficult, and I'm less comfortable with this concept based on the "superposition of natural HRTFs". -- Marc _______________________________________________ Sursound mailing list Sursound@music.vt.edu https://mail.music.vt.edu/mailman/listinfo/sursound

If you LP filter HRIRs sufficiently low, then small delays represent small phase changes and you no longer get lumps and bumps in the frequency response when you sum the IRs. 'Interpolation' between the HRTFs which vary in amplitude (and polarity), with source position, can result in the desired ITD, for example. I think BLaH went through this exercise. It does not mean you don't get some 'lumps and bumps' in the direct arrival higher up in frequency. With sufficient listening room refections adding incoherently the overall frequency response may be ok, although I am quite keen myself on the relative response between the two (direct/reflected)