Steve,

I'm not sure I follow everything you're saying about angle errors, but
there are a few installations that work well here in the SF Bay area that I
have personal experience with.     The Listening Room at Stanford's CCRMA
is a 3rd-order periphonic facility, described here

   https://ccrma.stanford.edu/room-guides/listening-room/

The others are in private homes, so I'll let the owners to chime in if they
please. They're good sounding rooms, but without special acoustic
treatment.  (unlike my living room, which is glass on three sides).  There
are several accounts of Ambisonic reproduction not working well in very
dead rooms, such as an anechoic chamber.

Also, for 3rd order periphonic you need to place a number of speakers below
the listener, which can be a challenge.  The acoustically transparent floor
in CCRMA's Listening Room is one solution.    Eric Benjamin and I have a
paper in the upcoming Linux Audio Conference on designing HOA decoders for
partial coverage speaker arrays, such as domes and rings.

Aaron (hel...@ai.sri.com)
Menlo Park, CA  US