There were three 'with height' workshops at the 2012 AES meeting in San
Francisco* that featured an Aura 3D playback setup.   David Bowles
(Swineshead) and Paul Geluso (NYU) played some recordings that were quite
nice -- height in front, with convention surrounds -- but the remainder,
including recordings from NHK, Dolby, DG, and 2L, were either terribly
distorted or a phasey mess.   I recall Kimio Hamasaki apologizing, saying
that the mix down from 22.x to Aura-3D didn't work well.  The recordings
that Morton Lindberg (2L) played were pleasant sounding, but it seemed as
if you were sitting underneath the musicians, which was odd. I was sitting
directly behind Martha de Francisco (Polyhymnia) who thought they sounded
wonderful.

Aaron

* http://www.aes.org/events/133/workshops/?ID=3239
  http://www.aes.org/events/133/workshops/?ID=3236
  http://www.aes.org/events/133/workshops/?ID=3241

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 7:54 AM, Ronald C.F. Antony <r...@cubiculum.com>
wrote:

> Looks like the 5.1 insanity put on steroids...
> ...but I'd love to be surprised; not betting on it however, given how
thin on theory and how thick on hype the site is.

https://mail.music.vt.edu/mailman/private/sursound/attachments/20140318/daafd959/attachment.bin