From: Sursound [sursound-boun...@music.vt.edu] On Behalf Of Fons Adriaensen
[f...@linuxaudio.org]
Sent: 26 November 2014 20:22
To: sursound@music.vt.edu
Subject: Re: [Sursound] Oculus Rift Visual Demo + Ambisonic Audio Available?

On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 11:17:44AM -0700, Martin Leese wrote:

> It might help if you think of this as "from the
> direction of your feet" as opposed to "due
> below".  This is normal when you are lying flat
> on your back in bed.

Reading this, I couldn't resist testing the idea.
Laying on by bed with my feet facing a radio on a bedside
table, I certainly perceived it in the correct direction.
But there was no sensation as it being 'below' me.

What this possibly means is that our perception of direction
is not simply relative to our body or head - rather it becomes
part of the mental reconstruction of the space around us. And
with my brain knowing that I was laying in horizontal attitude
it had no reason to create any sensation of a sound 'below' me.

It would be an interesting experiment on the ISS: let a
blindfolded astronaut float, turn him/her around a few times
so all sense of up/down is lost, and then test his/her
perception of sounds in all directions.

Ciao,

--
FA