I will make a couple of points, rather than answering the question..

The most obvious feature (to me) of the pinna is front/back asymmetry. The biggest failure of binaural is front/back discrimination.

Has anyone managed to cause the apparent source of a sound rise up in the air by changing the shape of your ear? To me it does little more than degrade the sound and reduce distance perception.

I suspect that the following evolved (if true) for sound localization, and not cocktail parties: http://www.davidgriesinger.com/Acous...b_sound_3.pptx <http://www.davidgriesinger.com/Acoustics_Today/Pitch,%20Timbre,%20Source%20Separation_talk_web_sound_3.pptx>

On 26/11/2014 03:36, Sampo Syreeni wrote:
On 2014-11-19, dw wrote:

There are numerous examples where the predictions of HRTF localisation are falsified by observations. What is one to think of the science?

So now you'd need to define what you mean by HRTF's. I at least think it means "the full, static, anechoic impulse response from a certain source to your brain". I.e. my idea of what an HRTF is, is the full, optimal, linearly and time-invariantly modelable subset in L^2 norm, of any and all phenomena in both time and space/angle, which our too ears appear to be able to hear.

So how could it be falsified? Tell me? At least as far as all of the linear acoustics happening around the head, and pinna, and shoulders, and the ear canal, go, it's a tautology that a full set of HRTF's captures it all.

So what are you talking about, really? Something else than linear acoustics governed by the usual wave equation, for sure. But what precisely? I'd really want to hear.